Call us today: (302) 227-2280    Follow us:

About

Our History

history2

Since its founding in 1921, the Rehoboth Beach Patrol has enjoyed a proud history rich in tradition and excellence. The following is a sketch of that history. These photographs, some dating back to the 1920’s are displayed in the RBP headquarters. To view these photographs or contribute items to the collection, please contact RBP headquarters, or contact us.

Timeline

1921

Founded by Benjamin F. Shaw and the Red Cross with a total of 2 guards.

1938

Stations set up on Rodney St., Stockely St., Delaware Ave., Wilmington Ave., Rehoboth Ave., Virginia Ave., Henlopen Ave., and Deauville beaches. Patrol enlarged to 17 guards.

1952

Captain Frank Coveleski introduces the lieutenant system. With 2 miles of beach divided into 4 sections, each supervised by a lieutenant. Total of 17 guards.

1956

Resuscitator and inhaler introduced as standard beach patrol equipment. Total of 20 guards

1962

New beach patrol headquarters built at Baltimore Ave. and the Boardwalk, with a complete First-Aid facility. Total of 23 guards.

1965

Portable oxygen units introduced on major beaches. Total of 25 guards.

1978

Beach expansion on north and south ends. Total of 30 guards.

1987

New beach patrol headquarters and first-aid facility. Total of 42 guards.

1991

Beach expanded 150 ft. past south end of boardwalk.

1996

USLA Regional Championships added to RBP summer event schedule. Celebrated 75 years of service. Alumni Association formed by Bill Vernon, T.C Coveleski, Kent Buckson, Herb Miller, Pete Hartsock and Andy Walsh.

1998

1st drowning located off Hickman/Brooklyn Jetty. Mike Johnson was 24 years old.

2000

Norfolk and Little Wilmington doubled. Total patrol increased to 45 guards.

2006

Beach Patrol’s 85th Anniversary